All automotive businesses in Alberta including sales, service and repair, consignment, lease, wholesale and agent broker businesses must hold a valid AMVIC licence. All automotive salespeople including anyone who solicits, negotiates or concludes a transaction with consumers on behalf of an automotive business must be registered with AMVIC.
Businesses and salespeople can conveniently manage their licence and registration through AMVIC’s online portal.
Once you have access to the online portal you can:
- sign up for or renew your salesperson registration
- apply for or renew a business licence
- register for the online Salesperson Registration Course
- complete the online Salesperson Registration Course
- make licence, registration and course payments by credit card or Interac debit (up to $5,000)
- update your business and/or personal information
- report and remit the sales levy by credit card or Interac debit (up to $5,000)
Managing your licence: FAQ
Are there options other than online for managing my licence?
You may visit AMVIC’s Edmonton office but you will only be able to access services through the AMVIC online portal available through a tablet in AMVIC’s reception.
You can no longer manage your licence or registration over the phone, fax, or mail.
How do I access the online portal?
The online portal can be accessed by clicking the “My Account” link found at the top of all pages at amvic.org. To apply for a business licence or start your salesperson registration application, you will need to access the online portal.
For more information, please visit the following pages:
- Tutorials: AMVIC Online accounts
- Apply for a new automotive business licence
- Apply for a new salesperson registration
- Renew an automotive business licence
- Renew a salesperson registration
What if my salesperson registration lapses while I’m on maternity leave?
Email Licensing@amvic.org to let us know in the event your registration lapses while you are off.
What if there’s a change in directors at my business?
If there are any changes to your company’s directors you must inform AMVIC. Please complete and submit a notification for change of Director’s form.
More information about licensing including what businesses require a licence and fees can be found at: