Business licence

Automotive businesses in Alberta, including sales, service and repair, consignment, lease, wholesale and agent or broker businesses must hold a valid AMVIC licence. All automotive salespeople including anyone who solicits, negotiates or concludes a transaction with consumers on behalf of an automotive business must be registered with AMVIC.

Businesses and salespeople can conveniently manage their licence and registration through AMVIC’s online portal.

Once you have access to the online portal you can:

  • sign up for or renew your salesperson registration
  • apply for or renew a business licence
  • register for the online Salesperson Registration Course
  • complete the online Salesperson Registration Course
  • make licence, registration and course payments by credit card or Interac debit
  • update your business and/or personal information
  • report and remit the sales levy by credit card or Interac debit

Note: AMVIC Online was updated on March 16, 2021 to improve ease of use. Please note, instead of using their business number to login, businesses must use their email address on file. If it is the first time a business or salesperson is logging into the new AMVIC Online, they will need to go through the forgotten password process to set up security questions and a new password. Both businesses and salespeople will then be able to login with their email and password.

Managing your licence: FAQ

Are there options other than online for managing my licence?

You can manage your licence or registration via AMVIC Online. You can no longer manage your licence or registration over the phone, fax, or mail.

How do I access the online portal?

To apply for a business licence or start your salesperson registration application, you will need to access AMVIC Online, which can be accessed by clicking the “LOGIN” link found at the top of all pages at

For more information, please visit the following pages:

What if my salesperson registration lapses while I’m on parental leave?

Email to let us know in the event your registration lapses while you are off.

What if there’s a change in directors at my business?

If there are any changes to your company’s directors you must inform AMVIC via AMVIC Online.

More information about licensing including what businesses require a licence and fees can be found at: