Report a curber
Curbers are individuals or automotive sales businesses operating without an AMVIC licence to sell to consumers.
How can you find out if a business is licensed to sell to consumers? Use our business and salesperson search tool found at the top of this page or contact AMVIC.
Suspect a curber? File a complaint to consumer services.
Spot a curber:
- Curbers don’t all look the same— some pose as private sellers and others operate from legitimate-looking businesses.
- You might find their phone number used on multiple ads for different vehicles— legitimate private sellers usually only have one vehicle for sale.
- Multiple vehicles being sold to the same individual or company may indicate the sale is to a curber.
- Does not pay AMVIC’s registration and licensing fees
- Does not pay the AMVIC levy
- Does not charge customers GST
- Circumvents tax laws
- Is not accountable to the customer
- Gives the industry a poor reputation
- Offers buyers no protection through AMVIC’s Compensation Fund