Buying online/over the phone?
- Use a checklist to review advertisements/offers.
- Who is selling the vehicle? Is it a business or a private seller?
- Is the business licensed by AMVIC? Use our search tool to find out.
- Has a private seller advertised more than one vehicle for sale? The seller may be an unlicensed business or curber.
- What is the hook in the advertisement? Is it the price; the payment terms; low mileage; or other claims about the vehicle’s condition?
- What questions do you need answered?
- Read fraud warnings and safety tips posted on internet classified sites.
- Be critical of exaggerated claims made by private sellers. Licensed businesses follow an advertising code of conduct, private sellers do not.
- Stay in control of the transaction. Never be rushed into buying.
- Remember, there are thousands of vehicles for sale at any one time. If a deal doesn’t work out, there will be other vehicles to buy.