How to renew an automotive business licence:
- AMVIC emails a renewal notice to businesses approximately 30 days before their automotive business licence expires.
- A renewal notice requires immediate action. Log in to your portal and click renew to process your renewal and payment. Any delay or omission could result in a lapse in your business licence.
AMVIC strongly encourages businesses to review the registration status of all salespeople at the same time they renew their business licence. Every salesperson authorized to act on behalf of a business must have a valid salesperson registration. Check a salesperson’s status by using the “Business & Salesperson Search” tool. An “issued” status means the registration is up-to-date and valid.
- It is unlawful for a salesperson to act on behalf of a business without a salesperson registration.
- Both the salesperson and the business can be charged by AMVIC for this offence.
- A consumer can cancel a transaction if the salesperson does not have a valid registration at the time of the transaction.
If there are any changes to your company’s directors you must inform AMVIC.
Please complete and submit a notification for change of Director’s form.
Fees can be paid online by credit card (Mastercard, Visa, Amex or Visa Debit) or Interac debit (all major banks and Alberta credit unions with the exception of CIBC and ATB) or in-person by debit or credit at AMVIC’s Edmonton office. Cash is not accepted.
Criminal record requirements:
AMVIC requires a criminal record check on all applicants who apply for and/or hold an AMVIC licence.
Who is considered an applicant?
- an individual who is a sole proprietor,
- a partner in a partnership,
- an officer or director of a corporation,
- a shareholder of a private corporation
- an individual who has been given signing authority by a director to complete AMVIC documentation,
- or a salesperson working for the automotive business
Note: obtaining a criminal record check outside of Canada, and the cost associated with that check will be the responsibility of the applicant.