Consumer Services is the first point of contact for anyone who has a question or concern about an automotive business or salesperson in the province.

Consumer services first gathers information from the consumer and from the business and if applicable, the salesperson concerned.

File a complaint

Contact AMVIC

How to file a tip/concern/complaint:

  • All tips, concerns and complaints must be filed through AMVIC’s consumer service team.
  • You can file a complaint through AMVIC’s online portal. Note: you must create a new account if this is your first online complaint.
  • You can call consumer services toll free at 1-877-979-8100 ext. 2002.

*file a complaint*

A consumer services officer may ask consumers for the following types of information:

  • Details about the event giving rise to their complaint.
  • The name and location of the automotive business involved.
  • Actions the consumer has already taken to resolve the complaint.
  • Supporting documentation related to the complaint.
  • The resolution the consumer wants.

Alternate dispute resolution

AMVIC will often give the business an opportunity to work with their customer in resolving their concern. In some cases, your consumer services officer may attempt to seek alternate dispute resolution on your behalf. Since 2001, AMVIC has facilitated the return of over $33 million to Alberta consumers through its alternate dispute resolution program

It is important for you to understand that AMVIC does not have the authority to force a business to reimburse a consumer. As such, if you are seeking reimbursement you may want to consider filing a civil claim against the automotive business through the courts. It is the consumer’s responsibility to cover any costs associated with filing a civil claim.

While there may be a positive outcome, the file may still be assigned to investigations. A resolution for a consumer does not negate that a breach under the Consumer Protection Act (formerly the Fair Trading Act) or Criminal Code may have occurred and it does not prevent possible charges, penalties, reviews or other methods of gaining compliance such as undertakings.

If your file is forwarded to investigations 

Should your file be forwarded to Investigations and we find that the business has not acted in accordance with applicable legislation, we will take enforcement action against that business. For more information about enforcement action see AMVIC’s progressive enforcement model.

If your file is forwarded to an Investigator and charges are laid against the automotive business, the Crown may request restitution for the consumer as part of the court process.

In some cases, you may be able to make a claim against a business’s security or bond through the consumer compensation fund. Your Consumer Services Officer can help you determine if your complaint is eligible.

Private sale

If a complaint relates to a private sale between individuals, AMVIC is not authorized to help. You may want to considering filing a civil claim through the courts.