Apply for a new automotive business licence
How to apply for a new automotive business licence:
- Determine which licence class matches the activities offered by the business i.e. sales (new or used), wholesale, agent/broker, leasing, consignment, repair.
- Obtain written municipal approval from the town or city where you plan on doing business as you will be required to provide that during the application process. Failure to provide proof of municipal approval will result in significant delays and/or possible refusal of your application. Note: it is important that you have proof of municipal approval/land use approval before you apply for an AMVIC licence as your application cannot be considered without it.
- Gather all of the required information and documentation that you will need to process your application. Note: you must complete the online application in its entirety, including payment, before exiting.
Information required for sales (new or used), wholesale, agent/broker, leasing and consignment
Information required for repairs
- Once you have municipal approval/land use approval, go to AMVIC’s online portal to complete the online application in full, including payment. If the licence application is abandoned by the applicant, or fails to comply with a licensing requirement, the fees are non-refundable.
Application review process:
- All applications will be reviewed, including criminal record checks and financial checks, etc. to determine if a licence is granted.
- Once you have completed the online application, you can complete the Automotive Business Plan Package. The package can be found at org/forms. Note: If applying for a repair licence, use the Automotive Business Plan Package for repairs. All other licence types use the package for sales.
- You must apply for your business licence before applying for a Salesperson’s Registration Certificate. Click here to learn how to apply for a Salesperson Registration. If you are engaging in sales of any kind you require an AMVIC-registered salesperson on staff.
- You should avoid using the word “wholesale” in your business name. Even if you are a wholesale business you should consider that you may want to sell retail at a later date which would require a name change to remove the word “wholesale” in order to receive a retail licence.
- AMVIC requires a criminal record check on all applicants who apply for and/or hold an AMVIC licence. Obtaining a criminal record check outside of Canada, and the cost associated with that check will be the responsibility of the applicant.
Who is considered an applicant?
-an individual who is a sole proprietor,
-a partner in a partnership,
-an officer or director of a corporation,
-a shareholder of a private corporation,
-an individual who has been given signing authority by a director to complete AMVIC documentation,
-or a salesperson working on behalf of an automotive business.
Ongoing business licence requirements:
- Automotive businesses are responsible for renewing their AMVIC business licence annually.
- You must inform AMVIC if there are any changes to your company’s directors. To do so, complete and submit a notification for change of Director’s form available at org/forms.
- Off-site sales requests should be submitted three weeks prior to the event. For more information see page three of the Off-Site Sale Request Form available at org/forms.