All licensed businesses must remit a $6.25 levy to AMVIC for every new or used vehicle they sell or lease to a consumer.
Why does AMVIC charge a levy?
- In part, AMVIC uses revenue from the levy to provide investigation and educational programs for industry and consumers.
- The levy has been in place since July of 2010.
Who pays the levy?
- Businesses pay the levy to AMVIC.
- Businesses can pass on the cost of the levy to their customers.
- If a business passes the levy on a consumer, it should show the levy as a separate line item on a sale or lease agreement. Keep in mind, the levy cannot be added to the advertised price of a vehicle as per all-in pricing requirements.
How much is the AMVIC levy?
- The AMVIC levy is $6.25 per sale or lease of a vehicle.
- $6.25 is the only and total amount of the levy, it should never be more than $6.25 for any reason.
- If a business charges more than the $6.25 as the AMVIC levy, please contact consumer services.